Guest Post – Growing A Show Plant: 100 Days

Growing A Show Plant
with a little help from my friends

 

W e made it to 100 days! There were days where it looked like the experiment was over, but it happened, there are babies—Rob’s Cherry Cola babies! Here are highlights of the last 3+ months.

Day 1 - Leaf planted and placed under a glass "dome"

Day 1 – Leaf planted and placed under a glass “dome”

 

Day 48 - The stem had rotted but there are roots!

Day 48 – The stem had rotted but there are roots!

 

Day 68 – Babies are noticed for the first time growing from the base of the leaf.

 

Day 100 – Plantlets are growing

 

I was away for a month when I noticed the leaf really didn’t look right. Arriving back in Minneapolis, I decided to check the leaf, and sure enough the stem had rotted. Then I noticed tiny roots emerging from the “wound” on the leaf where the stem had been.  Carefully I placed the leaf back on the potting mix and ensured the roots were in contact with mix.

When I first noticed what looked like small plantlets on the base of the leaf, I was again away. The first thought that passed through my mind was that it was mold.  The images had been out of focus due to the glass jar over the leaf and the camera having a hard time auto focusing through it; making it difficult to determine small details. But soon the “bumps” got bigger and you could see they were indeed babies.

Since then, the plantlets have really grown.  Day-to-day it doesn’t seem like much, but when looking at the image posted around 8 am each day on the instagram account; @growing_an_african_violet, put when you look at the history, you really see how fast they grow.

The project continues, until the day I take the plant to show. So keep watching. Soon you will see me having to tackle separating babies, grooming, potting up, and more.

View the original post here.

 

Days 64–100 - see the growth!

Days 64–100 – see the growth!