Welcome to my Sunroom
Come on in to my sunroom! Fall is here in Chicagoland!
Before we jump in to this week’s episode, I want to touch on a couple of things:
- I would like to say thank you to those of you – and you know who you are – who have made some donations using the PayPal donation button on the website. I don’t think you guys realize how expensive it is to keep the podcast going. I’m sure you’ve noticed that there are now ads on the website – believe me, they generate very little income. So, if you love All About African Violets and would like to know that you are helping it stay on the Web, click the “Donate” tab, above. I thank you sincerely.
- If you have not “liked” the podcast’s Facebook page, I would like to invite you to do so.
- I would also like to invite you to subscribe to the podcast so that you will get an email every time something new goes up on the site!
- Questions are caught up (FINALLY), and if you asked one through the website you should have received an answer or a follow up from me this past week. IF you did not, please let me know. And know that you question will appear on the website in the weeks to come.
- You guys make the podcast what it is – it’s been some time since anyone has shared a plant they are growing. Everyone loves this! If you’ve thought about doing it but haven’t, I encourage you to do so :-)
Tips and Treasures
I’m on my “Limit Your Collection” soapbox today, particularly as it applies to beginners getting caught up in “all the plants.”
The books mentioned in today’s episode, are:
- Growing to Show: How to Grow Prize-winning African Violets, by Pauline Bartholomew
- You CAN Grow African Violets, by Joyce and Kent Stork
- The AVSA Handbook for Growers, Exhibitors, and Judges
These books are not expensive. Every grower should have them, and they will go a very long way to helping you educate yourself :-)
A Look at What’s On the Stands
I’ve taken my own advice and have been limiting my collection in the past couple of weeks. Yay Me! :-D There’s a new strep blooming! And be sure you get a good look at Champagne Pink. It’s so lovely at the moment :-)
Get the Bail Money Ready!
The fall shows and regional conventions are in full swing!
- 10/26/2019, African Violet Club of Greater Kansas City, Show and Sale, Loose Park Garden Center, Kansas City, MO
- 10/26/2019, Portland African Violet Society, Display and Sale, Tabor Heights Methodist Church, Portland, OR
- 10/26/2019, First Austin African Violet Society, Fall Plant Sale, Austin Area Garden Center, Zilker Botanical Garden, Austin, TX
- 10/31/2019 to 11/02/2019, Lone Star African Violet Council, Convention, Show and Sale; Hilton Garden Inn Dallas/Allen, Allen, TX
- 11/02/2019 to 11/03/2019, Wisconsin Council of African Violet Clubs, Annual Judged Show and Sale, St. Jude the Apostle Church Hall, Oshkosh, WI
- 11/02/2019 to 11/03/2019, Tristate African Violet Council, African Violet Show and Plant Sale, Frelinghuysen Arboretum, Morristown, NJ
- 11/06/2019 to 11/09/2019, Dixie African Violet Society, Convention, Show and Sale, Lexington Hotel, Jacksonville, FL
- 11/08/2019 to 11/09/2019, Mid-Atlantic African Violet Society (MAAVS), Annual Convention & Sale, Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, Virginia Beach, VA
Please continue to check the AVSA Events page for current and coming events that might be near you!
The 2020 National Convention – Violets Go Hog Wild in Arkansas – will be in Little Rock, Arkansas, Sunday, May 24 – Sunday, May 31, 2020.
Keep Moving Forward
Thank you for joining me today, and thank you for the star ratings and reviews on iTunes and Facebook, and for the generous donations you have made via Paypal to help keep the podcast going. I so appreciate this!
If you have a question, you can ask me at, Ask Annie!
And remember, you can find All About About African Violets: